[mb-style] RFC: Style for compilation recordings

Frederic Da Vitoria davitofrg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 08:12:43 UTC 2011

2011/7/1, Michael Wiencek <mwtuea at gmail.com>:
> The proposed RFC will modify the multiple titles style page[1] for
> recordings/release groups and replace it with this one:
> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/User:Bitmap/Multiple_titles
>
> The paragraph added to the middle reccomends using the compilation
> relationship where appropriate (making this very underused AR more
> visible to editors), and also gives a better solution for tracks with
> multiple artists.[2] (The previous messy solution to that was putting
> artists in the track title.)
>
> The change is important to me because it also provides a more-reliable
> way to parse the different artists of each component recording.
>
> The RFC will expire on July 8.
>
> [1]
> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Style/Recording_and_release_group_titles/Multiple_titles
> [2] http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Tracks_With_Multiple_Artists

Instead of "using the Compilation Relationship Type", I'd write "using
Compilation Relationships" (but of course I'd preserve the link).

The Compilation AR applies currently to tracks only. For your
suggestion to work, it would have to be extended to work for
Recordings too. But then, I wonder if the word "Compilation" is
appropriate. Maybe a more generic word, for example "join" would be
better suited, which means that instead of extending the Compilation
AR, we should create a new recording-recording AR.

--
Frederic Da Vitoria
(davitof)

http://www.april.org