[mb-style] Defining packaging

Frederic Da Vitoria davitofrg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 10:59:05 UTC 2011

2011/7/4, Kuno Woudt <kuno at frob.nl>:
> Hello,
>
> On 04/07/11 10:03, Frederic Da Vitoria wrote:
>> I think Torc was right in his method (although I may disagree in his
>> conclusions). Before defining what (and how) we want to store, we
>> should answer to the question "what for". As long as we don't clearly
>> define the aims, we will have fruitless discussions because we will
>> effectively and unknowingly be discussing different things.
>
> I don't use (nor intend to use) the packaging information for anything,
> other than perhaps distinguishing different editions of the same album.
>
> If the limited edition of an album is released in a Digipak and the
> regular edition is in a CD-sized jewel case -- that distinction is
> interesting.
>
> Of course that makes the answer to the "how detailed do we want this
> information?" entirely context dependant, which is unfortunate.

I guess that it is actually much worse than that: not only context
dependent, but also user dependent :-) I wonder if we could devise a
variable system, where users would be required to enter at least a
basic level of information, but interested users could be more
specific. The trick would be keeping the user interface simple.

--
Frederic Da Vitoria
(davitof)

http://www.april.org