[mb-style] Adding pirated download links to releases as "can be downloaded for free from..." relationships

Kuno Woudt kuno at frob.nl
Tue Jul 5 06:54:07 UTC 2011

On 05/07/11 05:35, Magda Stremeski wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having a debate right now about how appropriate it is to add links
> to releases that tell a user where the release can be downloaded from.
>
> Edits in question:
> http://musicbrainz.org/edit/14739612
> http://musicbrainz.org/edit/14739579
>
> and a few others that have to do with the soundtracks of LucasArts
> computer games.
>
> The games never had an official soundtrack release. Some people created
> high quality rips of the soundtrack direct from the game and uploaded
> the bootleg. So, without a doubt, these are unofficial releases -
> bootlegs. This is not being contested. I'm OK with these releases being
> on MB (although there are other outstanding questions like, what is the
> real song title? But that aside...) It's more to do with the URLs being
> attached to the releases.
>
> MusicBrainz clearly states on its About page:
>
>     *Copyright infringement*
>     MusicBrainz provides data /about/ recordings, /not the music itself/.
>     MusicBrainz does not condone copyright infringement and will not
>     help you find a place to illegally download copyrighted works.

The Relationships/URLs guideline also governs this:

http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Style/Relationships/URLs#When_not_to_link

  When linking to a page where you can download, stream or get music via
  mail-order, the page must respect copyright law. Do NOT link to pages
  which contain pirated material. There are two exceptions to this guideline:

    1. Bootleg recordings of concerts.
    2. Derivative works such as mash-ups or unauthorized remixes (a
       well-known example of this is Danger Mouse's "The Grey Album").

So, the edits mentioned earlier are not allowed under the current guidelines
(I'm assuming the site linked to doesn't have a license from LucasArts to
 distribute this stuff).

-- kuno / warp.