[mb-style] second RFC: add “slipcase” to packaging types

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Tue Jul 5 17:55:00 UTC 2011

On 07/05/2011 12:45 PM, Simon Reinhardt wrote:
> I still don't agree with this rule and I think it's a bit arbitrary
> and complicated to follow.

What guideline would you suggest?  Given that we can only have one kind
of packaging currently, it seems that there is little choice but to have
some kind of guideline for which to use when there are several.

> You have shown examples of cassettes which only come wrapped in
> paper/cardboard but I'm not convinced that paper sleeve or cardboard
> sleeve wouldn't cover this case.  How are slipcases different?

Sleeves are essentially two-dimensional with just a fold at the edges,
while slipcases have distinct sides (four or five).

> If you can come up with a definition that clearly shows the
> difference and if we have the ability to select multiple packaging
> types (instead of your proposed rule) I would agree.

If/when we gain the ability to have multiple packaging types, I would
certainly suggest that the packaging guideline for which single one to
use be removed or replaced with something applicable.

Until then, we do need some kind of guideline.