[mb-style] Use of recording comment

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Wed Jul 6 23:36:17 UTC 2011

On 07/06/2011 05:59 PM, Simon Austin wrote:
> On 06/07/11 23:24, Johannes Weißl wrote:
>> I propose the following guideline for the recording name:
>> "Been It (album version)" --> "Been It"
>>
>> I don't think it is OK to do this for the recording name:
>> "Been It (Tee's Freeze mix)" --> "Been It"    (comment: "Tee's Freeze mix")
>>
> I would tend to agree. "album version" would seem to be superfluous in
> most cases,

+1 on all this.

> I suppose there's a grey area with generically titled versions like
> "edit" or "extended mix".

Agreed.  Should we adjust the discussion to where exactly that grey area
lies?

I for one would move the following to the comment, or in some cases
possibly to the work. It’s a pretty big list…

*
radio/single/album/studio/single/TV/film/acoustic/abridged/extended/long/short/long/revised/alternate/alternative/revised
version/edit
* [Language] version
* [instrument] version
* [performing cast] version
* alternate version (many need further disambiguation as well)
* alternative version
* demo version
* Orchestral version
* instrumental version
* [format] version (12-inch/LP/gramophone version, etc.)
* [adjective] take (alternate, early, out, etc.)
* [adjective] mix (not referring to a remix but to an alternative audio
mixing arrangement)
* version [number]

And just to make it obvious where I got many of the above list from:
* Studio Playbacks With Singalongs
* Studio Playbacks With Comments From Olivia Harrison
* Early Mix, Missing Many Overdubs