[mb-style] Use of recording comment

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Thu Jul 7 14:20:44 UTC 2011

On 7/7/2011 3:47 AM, Andii Hughes wrote:
> If it was decided that the comment was to *only* be used for ETI data,
> I could live with it.  Though it means a large number of users will
> have to move this data back into the title for tagging, it solves the
> parsing problem of distinguishing ETI from the main title.  But that
> only works if the comment is just for that or a new ETI field is
> introduced.  If the comment remains an undefined freeform field for
> any text, it shouldn't be used for ETI data as it presents a nightmare
> for those of us who want to keep this useful title information
> distinct from random comments.

Is there some misunderstanding as to the purpose of the comment field?

It's not a place to put random information like 'this is the best track
on the album' or something.

It's for precisely the sort of stuff that the parenthetical stuff I
listed is put there -- to differentiate between several recordings
having the same title.

It's a *disambiguation* comment, just like the similar artist comment field.

--Alex Mauer "hawke"