[mb-style] Use of recording comment

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Thu Jul 7 20:19:41 UTC 2011

On 2011-07-07 9:42, Johannes Weißl wrote:
> I also think it is just for disambiguation of recordings with the same
> name. But I think the ETI in most cases *is* part of the name, so there
> is no need for a disambiguation comment. If you have an extended
> version, the name of that *recording* (not the song!) is:
>    "Foobar (extended version)"

I think you overestimate how often the ETI is part of the name.

If one recording appears on various releases as:
"Foobar", "Foobar (extended version)", "Foobar (12" version)", "Foobar
(long version)"

While another recording of the same song appears as:
"Foobar", "Foobar (album version)", "Foobar (short version)" and "Foobar
(LP version)"

The correct thing to do IMO despite all that ETI it to name it just the
song name and put one of the ETIs in the disambiguation comment.

--Alex Mauer "hawke"