[mb-style] RFC-326: Add Artist Type "Other"

Johannes Weißl jargon at molb.org
Mon Jul 11 20:02:13 UTC 2011

Hello list,

I propose to add "Other" to the list of artist types [1]. Many artists
don't fit into the Group/Person scheme, e.g.:

1. Some fictional characters (animals, mythical creatures, ...)
2. Some fictional artists that are purely created to keep a series
   together
3. Companies that were created to credit them in a relationship, but
   that are not labels

There are probably more categories. Because all of them are pretty
rare compared to Person/Group and are not really in the focus of this
database, I suggest a catch-all type "Other" for them. Using "Unknown"
is not a really good alternative, because

1. Searching for "Unknown" artists should only show artists where
   further research will eventually result in another type
2. "Unknown" artists can be changed to any type as auto-edit, so if
   someone wants to leave an artist "Unknown" on purpose, anybody can
   change the type without vote

Wiki page: http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Proposal:Artist_Type_Other
Expiration date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 20:00 UTC

This RFC is inspired by all the recent RFCs (empty barcode, empty
Cat.Nr.), that allow us to differentiate between unknown/blank and
none/other.

[1] http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Artist_Type

Johannes