[mb-style] RFC-327: Featured Artists

Andii Hughes gnu_andrew at member.fsf.org
Tue Jul 12 16:17:17 UTC 2011

On 12 July 2011 16:02, Lemire, Sebastien <mail at benji99.ca> wrote:
> Hi Andii,
> Two points:
> 1.) I'm not personally a fan of the (feat. xxx) style for track titles, I'd
> much prefer that that information be dynamically generated and displayed
> while keeping the track title only having the track title. This would allow
> those of us that tag our files as we see fit with scripts (with or without
> feat. xxx)

As mentioned in the proposal, the proposal for track titles is to keep
them as is,
primarily for backwards compatibility at present.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'dynamically generated'?  Do you
mean from performance ARs?
The main issue there is that these don't tend to be added that often.

I'm divided on the idea of moving most of the work to the tool side;
it does make things
more flexible by just providing data in as raw a fashion as possible,
but it also means
that a lot more is in the hands of the particular tool vendor and the
time it takes them to
catch up.  That said, I'm wavering more to the side of providing raw
data, and this seems
to be a common trend post-NGS.

The main advantage of using artist credits fully for featured artists
on recordings will be that the recording
is listed under all artists e.g. in example 3 of the proposal, the
recording goes from being listed under
one artist to being listed under all seven.

One issue I haven't seen come up but which affects both moving the
feat. to artist credits and to ARs
is that sometimes the artist isn't in the DB and it's hard to add them
e.g. a lot of electronic music tracks
credit a featured artist simply by first name.

> 2.) Any chance of extending your proposal at the release level in order
> to accommodate Classical Music Featured Artists?

I don't know anything about the classical music guidelines or how
featured artists differ in this regard.
If you want to make this a joint proposal and extend it with what's
needed, I'd be happy for you to do that.

> Sebastien
>
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Andii Hughes <gnu_andrew at member.fsf.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> I've written a proposal for handling featured artists post-NGS:
>>
>> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Proposal:Featured_Artists
>>
>> This deals with the legacy data issue (ws/1 still provides data in
>> pre-NGS format) by retaining the existing guideline for track
>> listings, while making use of artist credits at recording level.  When
>> ws/1 is finally removed, we can allow track listings to be entered as
>> on the release, as some have suggested.
>>
>> RFC Expiry Date: 19th of July, 2011 (in 7 days)
>>
>> Comments?
>> --
>> Andii :-)

Andii :-)