[mb-style] "With" in artist credits

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren reosarevok at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 09:42:41 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 8:01 AM, Ryan Torchia <anarchyriot at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 2:42 AM, Frederic Da Vitoria <davitofrg at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> 2011/7/13, Ryan Torchia <anarchyriot at gmail.com>:

>> > The thing is, when "with" is used, it's because that's what was actually
>> > used on the release (or track).  It's never something we add; we default
>> > "&" as a joiner for collaborations if there isn't another word used.
>>
>> Hmm, you must have missed my second post :-)
>
> I saw it, but maybe didn't parse it correctly at the time.  Still, it begs
> the question, if "they" added it, why wouldn't it be part of the "real
> name"?  There's some measure of artist intent if the word "with" is used
> rather than "and" or "&".  Should we capitalize "with" differently in a name
> like "Nurse With Wound" than we would in "The Dillinger Escape Plan With
> Mike Patton"?  Or if we assume the opposite, that "with" is just added
> information, should we just normalize "with" to "&" (or "and")?
> --Torc.

I would say in the first case you have one "title" and in the second
two "titles", joined by the word "with", which is not a part of them.
We wouldn't capitalize "feat.", so there's little reason to capitalize
"with", "presents" and the like in this situation. After all, in
normal writing, with is not capitalized :)

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren