[mb-style] RFC-327: Featured Artists

MeinDummy MeinDummy at nurfuerspam.de
Thu Jul 14 12:14:28 UTC 2011

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote:

>>> In which way? Always putting them in the artist field? There is little
>>> to be gained from that, unlike from doing it on recordings, so I see
>>> no reason not to follow the cover (now, later, whenever). Or maybe I'm
>>> missing your point?
>>>

>> Isn't it the info from the tracklist that is used e.g. for displaying MB
>> release pages and for tagging?
> Yes for the first one, but I thought the idea was making *those*
> follow the cover.
> Not necessarily for the second, at least from the next Picard version
> you'll be able to use tracklists *or* recordings for tagging.

My line of thinking was that a typical long player by a single artist that
has one or few tracks with featured artists will in almost all cases only
show 'track title (feat. 2nd artist)' on the cover. And this is only because
it would look silly to list the primary artist again and again for every
single track.
The only places where these tracks are listed as 'primary artist feat. 2nd
artist - track title' would be VA compilations.

In (extended) MB terms I consider 'feat. 2nd artist' EAI (extra artist
information) rather than ETI and as a consequence, I would always move it to
the track artist instead of keeping it as part of the track title.
And except for the ws/1 issue I don't see a good reason not to do this in
tracklists as well.