[mb-style] RFC: Add Prussia and Russia to list of countries for historical purposes

SwissChris swisschris at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 18:27:39 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Arturus Magi <sailorleo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 7:32 PM, SwissChris <swisschris at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The problem here is that the "nationality" of a composer is more a
> cultural
> > concept which cannot be captured by (historical) political or
> geographical
> > boundaries.
>
> We should probably be using multiple separate fields to capture
> different information.  The term 'nation' has multiple completely
> separate meanings, none of which are a culture exactly, but are often
> closely bound to one, and a person may consequently have multiple
> nationalities and multiple cultural identities.  As a vague example, a
> modern person decended from the Mohawk indian tribe might identfy
> themselves with the following nations and states: The Mohawk tribe,
> the remnants of the Iroquois Confederation, the entity constructed by
> treaty called the Indian Nation, the US state they live in (most
> likely New York or Wisconsin) and the United States of America.
>
> So in order to do this right we would need to following seperate
> fields: Releases Events, which should probably continue to use the ISO
> list; Born and Died, which should each be a single freeform entry,
> historically accurate by the geopolitical states of that era;
> Nationality, which would be a list of nations, states, and other
> geopolitical entities that the person would consider themselves a part
> of, and/or a list of nations and geopolitical entities that
> would/would have considered the person to be/have been a
> citizen/resident; and Culture, which would be a list of cultural
> entites that the person identifies with.

Sure, but then I'd argue that this detailed information doesn't have to be
in a musical database like MB. Why should we duplicate encyclopedic
knowledge that can easily be found in wikipedia or similar encyclopedic
structures?  And if an editor cares enough for this information, then why
not write, or improve, the article in wikipedia (where one has all the free
text space one needs) and link this article to the MB-artist?  :-)