[mb-style] RFC: Add Prussia and Russia to list of countries for historical purposes

Frederic Da Vitoria davitofrg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 21:20:42 UTC 2011

2011/7/15 SwissChris <swisschris at gmail.com>

> On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Arturus Magi <sailorleo at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 7:32 PM, SwissChris <swisschris at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > The problem here is that the "nationality" of a composer is more a
>> cultural
>> > concept which cannot be captured by (historical) political or
>> geographical
>> > boundaries.
>>
>> We should probably be using multiple separate fields to capture
>> different information.  The term 'nation' has multiple completely
>> separate meanings, none of which are a culture exactly, but are often
>> closely bound to one, and a person may consequently have multiple
>> nationalities and multiple cultural identities.  As a vague example, a
>> modern person decended from the Mohawk indian tribe might identfy
>> themselves with the following nations and states: The Mohawk tribe,
>> the remnants of the Iroquois Confederation, the entity constructed by
>> treaty called the Indian Nation, the US state they live in (most
>> likely New York or Wisconsin) and the United States of America.
>>
>> So in order to do this right we would need to following seperate
>> fields: Releases Events, which should probably continue to use the ISO
>> list; Born and Died, which should each be a single freeform entry,
>> historically accurate by the geopolitical states of that era;
>> Nationality, which would be a list of nations, states, and other
>> geopolitical entities that the person would consider themselves a part
>> of, and/or a list of nations and geopolitical entities that
>> would/would have considered the person to be/have been a
>> citizen/resident; and Culture, which would be a list of cultural
>> entites that the person identifies with.
>>

> Sure, but then I'd argue that this detailed information doesn't have to be
> in a musical database like MB. Why should we duplicate encyclopedic
> knowledge that can easily be found in wikipedia or similar encyclopedic
> structures?  And if an editor cares enough for this information, then why
> not write, or improve, the article in wikipedia (where one has all the free
> text space one needs) and link this article to the MB-artist?  :-)

Hmm, I don't think that data duplication between wikipedia and MB is a good
argument. If we start removing everything wikipedia has, MB will become
unusable :-) I disagree also strongly that original country does not belong
in a musical database. The original country is much more music relevant than
the current country IMO

--
Frederic Da Vitoria
(davitof)