[mb-style] RFC-327: Featured Artists

SwissChris swisschris at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 23:45:52 UTC 2011

I wouldn't disagree on the fact that "feat." has a specific meaning
different from other link phrases. A said before I wouldn't thus oppose
keeping it as link phrase *between artists* even on recording level.

But fact is:
1. We agreed on adding (featured) artists on tracks (instead of artists)
only because of the pre-NGS technical limitations. Now that these
limitations are finally gone, we should get rid of this (wrong) guideline
asap.
2. Many (if not most) of the so called "feat." artists we now have in MB are
actually not "featured" artists in reality, since the guideline asked to
always use "feat." whatever the actual link phrase on a release may be. It's
wrong or at least inaccurate information that we shouldn't wait any longer
to correct.
3. If I understood correctly ws/1 users will still get the information, it
will only be displayed in a less elegant, less accurate way. This is IMHO
not reason enough to double the work of the editors trying to improve the DB
according to the NGS principles.
4. The current guideline is a pre-NGS guideline, which - like so many others
- has obviously not really been updated. What editors do in such cases is to
ignore the parts that no longer apply because we now have a better way to
deal with a specific problem. They have done so in the past and will
hopefully do so again, until there's an agreement on a new guideline. If
your proposal passes, it would be a post-NGS guideline much harder to ignore
;-)

Chris/chabreyflint