[mb-style] RFC-327: Featured Artists

Calvin Walton calvin.walton at kepstin.ca
Sat Jul 16 18:07:39 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-15 at 17:16 -0700, Paul C. Bryan wrote:
> My 2¢, after lurking all this time:
>
> 3. Ideally, /ws/1 should handle the "feat." link phrase by expressing
> the AC as ETI of the tracks it returns.

Unfortunately, this is impossible to do in any sort of general way,
mostly because the artist credits are used for more than just featured
artists. Even if you limit it to just 'feat.' link phrases, there are
several artists in the database that it would miss, and several
collaborations or special artist credits that it would rewrite
inappropriately.

The current ws/1 method of simply making up a fake artist with a name
that contains the entire artist credit is really the best we can do :/