[mb-style] RFC-327: Featured Artists

SwissChris swisschris at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 23:40:44 UTC 2011

Until now it was clear: If an artist (featured or guest or collaboration)
was mentioned on the (back) cover he got artist credit (and the appropriate
AR), if not he got only AR (where you could choose nearly everything from
"guest lead pedal guitar" to "additional soprano backing vocal"). Since
multiple artists were not supported we opted for a workaround solution that
had Artist Credit for "featured" and similar artists, when on cover,
appended in brackets in the title field.
Now that MB supports multiple artists, allowing every link phrase one can
think of, what speaks against moving them to Artist Credit where they belong
(once the ws/1 issue solved)?

For "Where the Wild Roses grow" we'd have
- on the original "Murder Ballads" Album: AC Nick Cave; Kylie Minogue (not
on the cover) added by appropriate AR
- on the Single: joint AC Nick & Kylie (or: Nick + Kylie)
- on the Kylie "Best of": AC to Kylie, AR for Nick (not on the cover)
- on all the compilations where this track appears with both names: AC to
both, linked by whatever link phrase (feat., with, duo with, +) that is on
the cover.

What we still have to agree on is what link phrase to use on a normalized
recording level when we have various versions to choose from like above or
when the link phrase on the cover is not in English…