[mb-style] pre-RFC: CSG for works, part I: titled works

Ryan Torchia anarchyriot at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 23:55:34 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 9:20 AM, symphonick <symphonick at gmail.com> wrote:

> Aliases: For titled works, use only if the work is known locally under a
> different name.
> English aliases for the examples above:

What about the use of quotation marks for titles, including titles of
movements and non-official titles?  I'm thinking of something like the
Moonlight Sonata for the latter example.

Disambiguation: use the comment field to separate different versions with
> the same title (by the same composer). Not necessary if the catalog
> numbers differs.
>
> Examples:
> Appalachian Spring (Ballet)
> Appalachian Spring (Orchestral suite)
> Nun komm der Heiden Heiland, BWV 599
> Nun komm' der Heiden Heiland, BWV 659

I think it'd be OK to suggest those be included, even with catalog numbers
(or in comments, as long as they're visible in search pop-ups).  Most
editors (including me) probably won't know offhand which version "BWV 599"
is.   Also in the examples above, should "Ballet" and "Orchestral" be
lowercase?

> Multi-part works: The title of the main work must be repeated in the
> parts, otherwise one composer could have a lot of works named only
> "allegro", which would currently be difficult to work with.

This is for works only, not for tracklistings?  (I hate seeing the full work
title on every single track of a release that only includes one work.)

--Torc.