[mb-style] pre-RFC: CSG for works, part I: titled works

symphonick symphonick at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 10:17:08 UTC 2011

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:32:19 +0200, Frederic Da Vitoria
<davitofrg at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> 1.) Regarding Opera works, IMO, I hate having the Opera separated into
>>> tracks as is the case on CDs and having that replicated into our Works
>>> repertoire. I would prefer to if the we divide the Opera into logical
>>> parts
>>> (such as Act I, II or Scene I, II) and all the Arias, Rectivo, etc...
>>> be
>>> linked to the "bigger" work using the "Partial" Recording -> Work.
>>
>> Will return to parts in detail later, but I don't see why whe should
>> treat
>> opera different than other classical works? (Which means follow the
>> score.)
>
> I am not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing :-) Actually, I am
> not sure what "follow the score" means here. IIUC, opera scores were
> noted in lots of different ways, some with only acts clearly
> separated, others with subdivisions. Should we stick to this
> diversity? The only other reasonable option I can see would be to
> limit ourselves to acts.

My main point is that we should not make mb-specific movements/parts.
There will be issues regarding interpretation, but hopefully a modern
score will be reasonably clear. We must look more into details on opera,
I'd like to avoid a separate opera-style this time. Had a very quick look
at a Mozart score online, & I'm guessing scenes will be the smallest
works? http://dme.mozarteum.at/nma/

>>> 3.) Regarding catalog numbers, although the ultimate solution will be
>>> have the catalog data stored independently as I've already suggested in
>>> another thread, what would the style be when there's multiple catalogs?

>> per-composer; I think it's best to choose one for the title & put the
>> others in the annotation for the time being.
>
> I agree. But I guess sometimes we will have to do exceptions for some
> works.

Yeah.

> An idea: we could decide to put catalog numbers in the comment instead
> of the title... No, I guess the comment is not used by searches and
> searching by number is definitely useful.

That's what I thought too.

/symphonick