[mb-style] pre-RFC: CSG for works, part I: titled works

symphonick symphonick at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 15:37:17 UTC 2011

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 16:55:34 +0200, Frederic Da Vitoria
<davitofrg at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Not talking about releases here, only works: I mean in the language used
>> for the alias, is the work known
>> in another name? "The Firebird" is an example of this; titled works that
>> are usually translated in certain languages.
>
> Then I'm not sure "locally" is really useful: "Aliases: For titled
> works, use only if the work is known under a different name", which
> has a more general meaning but still works IMO.

Sounds good.

>> I'm not so sure about the English title for the cantata; to me it looks
>> weird if the cantata is sung with German text. Perhaps we need to take
>> the
>> libretto into consideration & only use translated titles for translated
>> works?
>
> I guess some users would know only the translated name, while others
> would prefer to stick to the "original" name. When we speak of
> aliases, are these technically real synonyms (ARs link to the original
> works which would be displayed under "aliased" names when required by
> a user) or would some recordings be linked to the aliases which would
> in turn link to the real "original" work? If it is the first solution,
> then your question is not relevant :-)

I believe the first. But if we use the same translated name / alias for
both the original work & the translated work, we'll have to use the
comment field: (English version) or even (English version by foo). But we
may have to do that anyway.

/symphonick