[mb-style] RFV: 327 Featured Artists

Andii Hughes gnu_andrew at member.fsf.org
Wed Jul 20 22:24:47 UTC 2011

On 20 July 2011 17:46, Nikki <aeizyx at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't have a problem with the guideline itself, but I find the
> examples rather awkward to read (and there's nothing that shows the
> final outcome nor any links to entities in the database that you can
> look at).

I'm not sure what you mean by 'shows the final outcome'.
I can't link to any entities yet because there aren't any until the
guideline is approved.

> For me it would be a lot clearer to just have something like:
>
> The song "Umbrella" by Rihanna featuring Jay-Z would be entered as:
> Recording name: [Umbrella]
> Artists: [Rihanna] feat. [Jay-Z]

That's pretty much what it does say, except 'song' is used instead of
'recording'
and the artist credit is broken up to make the join terms clearer.  In
your example,
the spaces are not as clear.

> (where square brackets indicate links to the relevant entities, like
> they would be shown on the server).

We could link the artists, I agree on that.

> Nikki
>
> Andii Hughes wrote:
>> Expected passage date: 23rd of July, 2011 (~2 days)
>>
>> The proposal:
>>
>> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Proposal:Featured_Artists
>>
>> updates the http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Recording_and_release_group_titles/Featured_artists
>> guideline for recordings and release groups.
>>
>> Instead of the old form for featured artists:
>>
>> "X (feat. Y)" by Z
>>
>> a new form is used which makes use of artist credits:
>>
>> "X" by Z feat. Y
>>
>> where Z and Y are artists in the DB and ' feat. ' is the join term.
>>
>> This covers recordings and release groups *ONLY*.  The discussion on
>> this at RFC clarified that the current guidelines only apply to
>> recordings & release groups,
>> and that none yet exist for tracks and release titles other than
>> http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Track_and_release_titles
>>
>> Please be advised that vetoing this proposal will retain the current
>> recording guideline of including 'feat.' crediting in the track title
>> for recordings and release groups.
>> I have seen no-one in favour of this position during the RFC stage,
>> but yet there have been explicit intentions to veto from some on
>> indeterminate grounds.
>>
>> Thanks,

Andii :-)