[mb-style] RFC-327: Featured Artists

symphonick symphonick at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 09:19:41 UTC 2011

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 03:45:16 +0200, Ryan Torchia <anarchyriot at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Obviously there'd be some clean-up to do, but that's true no matter what
> we
> decide.  I don't think Classical composers would be that difficult
> (especially if we can do batch editing) -- search for anybody who died
> prior
> to, say, 1940, and don't create performer credits for them.  Or looks for
> recordings that already have conductor or instrumental performer ARs that
> don't include the Artist.  Or release/track titles that include keywords
> like "conductor", "Orchestra", "Quartet", "feat.:", ", *instrument*",
> etc.
> surrounded by parentheses and don't create the AR for them.  The
> difficult
> part in all this is how to get the Composer credit into the Artist field
> rather than the performer for only a subset of works (i.e. Classical).  I
> haven't thought of an easy way to do that.

I'm not sure that's what we want? If we can't see the performers for a
recording we have to put them in the comment field for disambiguation.
Maybe a "show composer" ticbox, either for every recording or in the UI
preferences (similar to the "classical UI-mode" that has been suggested
before.)
Or maybe we could live without composer @ recording level?

/symphonick