[mb-style] RFC-333: Unify track/recording guidelines

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren reosarevok at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 14:25:48 UTC 2011

2011/7/26 Lukáš Lalinský <lalinsky at gmail.com>:
> I've seen that many editors are unhappy about the differences between
> track and recording style guidelines. As far as I understand, the main
> goal of the relaxed track style guidelines was to simplify editing for
> new users. This is not what is happening in practice, because all
> tracks have to be linked to recordings and therefore somebody has to
> make sure the recordings follow the style guidelines, which means one
> of these options applies:
>
>  1) The original editor has to learn the recording style guidelines anyway.
>  2) The original editor ignores recordings and MB starts getting less
> useful data.
>  3) Some other editor fixes the recordings, which adds even more work
> for voters.
>
> Apart from this issue, I believe that most editors prefer to have
> normalized track titles. There is a minority of users who would like
> track titles that more closely follow album covers, but NGS doesn't
> provide a good technical solution to this.
>
> I propose that the current recording and release group style
> guidelines are applied to tracks and releases as well. The change
> would involve removing the track/release section from the wiki, and
> modifying other sections to mention that they apply to both recordings
> and tracks. This will gives us a starting point from which we can move
> forward and decide if there are situations where some particular
> recording style guidelines can be relaxed for tracks.
>
> This proposal does not include classical tracks or any other
> situations that were previously excluded from the normal style
> guidelines.
>
> Lukas

+1, and I would like to make two notes.

1) I believe in the usefulness of keeping cover information.
Thankfully, after NGS came to be we've entered a collaboration with
the Internet Archive that should allow us to maintain a cover
reservoir related to MB which includes not only front covers, but also
back covers and other scans / pictures. I think that is the best
possible way to keep the cover information, so I don't think it is
necessary to use the track level for that.

2) The track / recording divide is still useful, and we will certainly
be seeing guidelines that apply differently to both levels (the new
classical style guideline might very well do, for example). This
doesn't freeze recording and track guidelines together, just gives us
a basis to work from.

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren