[mb-style] Recording/track distinctions

Rupert Swarbrick rswarbrick at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 17:36:26 UTC 2011

Lukáš Lalinský <lalinsky-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
writes:
> The situation is now different and we are using track titles for
> "as-on-cover" titles, which I believe it wrong. It is wrong, because
> we have no alternative for properly normalized track titles that
> consider the context of the release. People think that recording
> titles solve that problem, but they don't because they don't include
> the release context, so you get problems like these:
>
>  - Missing extra title information (e.g. "album version", "original
> mix" or "live")
>  - Different spelling of the same language (e.g. UK/US releases)
>  - Different language (e.g. identical official release with different
> titles in different countries, I don't count pseudo-releases here)

Another problem I have with entering "as-is" data doesn't seem to have
come up in this thread yet: Some discs have typos. Or basic factual
errors ("Beethoven Symphony No. 5 in G-flat minor" or whatever).

Irritatingly, I can't find the particular edit which had me swearing at
my computer the other day, but when voting I've seen several edits which
carefully preserve cock-ups on the CD sleeve since that's what appears.

Does the current CSG iteration have guidance for editors in this
situation?

Rupert