[Playlist] Re: proprietary media types in a generic playlist format

ian c rogers ian at fistfulayen.com
Wed Mar 10 15:58:27 UTC 2004

Picking up this thread a little late...

I agree wholeheartedly that we should provide a liberally licensed
implementation of a content resolver as a compliment of this format.
With a playlist format built with this in mind and code that people can
actually leverage, the uptake could be swift.

Give me some examples of canonical identifiers and how the resolution
might take place.  This will require content and metadata providers to
provide resolution services, no?

Incidentally I agree with Justin Frankel's suggestion that we create a
lightweight, portable, reference implementation of all of our playlist
code that can be easily integrated all over.  I also fully back Rob
Lord's suggestion that we also crank out all the XSLT that will convert
from our format to m3u, pls, and even the XHTML that Kevin is hot for.
Then we can really proclaim this format the interchange format.

ian