[Playlist] extensibility of the format

Matthias Friedrich matt at mafr.de
Wed Mar 10 18:30:03 UTC 2004

On Tuesday, 2004-03-09, Kevin Marks wrote:
> On Mar 8, 2004, at 4:04 PM, Lucas Gonze wrote:

[...]
> This is unnecessary - XML already has a well-defined behaviour for
> unknown tags (skip them).

I don't understand this sentence. Could you please explain it in more
detail? Are you talking about wellformed XML then?

Oh, and as I'm no XHTML expert, could you also explain how it is
possible to embed SVG and MathML into XHTML? Or do browsers just merge
DTD modules?

> On Mar 8, 2004, at 3:24 PM, Matthias Friedrich wrote:
[...]
> The 'is this link a canonical ID' issue is readily resolved in the
> XHTML model by using a rel identifier of 'canonical'. Any href can have
> a space separated list of rel attributes attached to it, and these can
> be specified as an extension. See XFN as an example.

I had a look at XFN and at first glance it looks like a stripped down
boring version of RDF and FOAF. Only relationships between people are
modelled AFAICS.

Additionally, there seems to be no way to avoid naming clashes. Or is
for the "rel" attribute only a fixed set of keywords allowed? In this
case, that probably isn't the extensibility you're talking about.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for extensibility, but with a fixed
DTD/Schema.

bye,
	Matthias