[Playlist] Current state of things

Kevin Marks kmarks at mac.com
Tue Mar 30 23:09:46 UTC 2004

I think removing track, artist etc. names from the format is a huge
mistake.
They are exactly the kinds of metadata that people want to use to
describe things.

Yes, they are not definitive, but without these there is no way to do a
human matching fallback.

A well-designed list generating tool could populate these from
MusicBrainz or the like anyway; a list resolver could renormalize them
to stop list creators using them as extra comment fields.

These values are the natural thing that people want to exchange, and
trying to legislate them out of the format is a mistake.