[Playlist] time offsets and annodex

Lucas Gonze lgonze at panix.com
Mon Nov 1 01:25:24 UTC 2004

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, Lucas Gonze wrote:
> I notice that the annodex people have approaches for both client and server
> clipping -- if the server does it, the offsets are in the query string, and
> if the client does it, the offsets are in the fragment specifier.  This is
> really elegant any way you look at it, and it means we wouldn't have to do
> anything in XSPF at all.
>
> Are there any drawbacks?

I have a drawback: clients MUST NOT render a resource if the URL has a
fragment identifier and the client doesn't support fragments a la annodex.
The reasoning is that the object within the clipping range and as a whole
are different things, so rendering the whole without consideration to the
clipping range would mangle the meaning of the URI.  So, to make this
work, we'd have to make the few people who've shipped XSPF clients make a
change, albeit small: they'd have to check for a fragment ID and skip the
resource if they find one.

- Lucas